Tuesday, April 14, 2009
I'm declaring my Dad the official "Popcorn King". Actually I think it runs in the family so there are probably some contenders for the royal title...maybe we have lots of kings that rule their own kingdoms in popcorn happiness. This gives me the title of "Popcorn Princess" and the authority to instruct my subjects on the perfect batch of popcorn. Hear ye! Hear ye!
There are probably as many ways to make popcorn as there are years of my life...we've all tried microwave, there's the old air poppers that some swear by and then there's the superior method of pan popping. If you've never tried this, don't be intimidated. It's super easy and produces a batch of popcorn with better texture and taste than anything else. After you've tried this you'll think microwave popcorn tastes like cardboard.
I used to think people that didn't put butter on their popcorn had problems with their taste buds. Cardboard! But this last year I finally devised the perfect way to make popcorn so that it is both healthy and also tastes better than any kind I've made before. The secret ingredients are olive oil and sea salt...don't bother trying vegetable oil and regular salt...I've tried. Although it makes little sense to me using these two ingredients tastes completely different.
Here's the instructions:
1. Pour enough olive oil into your pan to coat the bottom. If you're used to popcorn with butter you can start by adding a little extra oil but you don't need tons.
2. Set your heat at medium high.
3. Add 3 popcorn kernels and cover pan.
4. You'll know the oil is hot enough when all three kernels pop. Carefully open the lid just enough to pour more kernels in the pan. Add enough to cover the bottom of the pan with one layer of kernels.
5. While they pop get your bowl and salt ready. No need to shake the pan. Just stay close and listen to the popping.
6. As soon as you hear the popping slow way down turn the heat off (or remove from burner if your range is electric).
7. Open and pour into bowl. Be careful...it's very hot and some kernels may still be popping!
8. Pour sea salt over popcorn and stir until it tastes perfect-o!
9. Curl up to your honey, turn on a good movie and enjoy! Or if you have mini popcorn princesses that like it as much as me -- pop it at 10am while you sing "popcorn popping" and enjoying it for a morning snack!
(These great plastic popcorn holders are available in the Target dollar aisle a couple times a year--they really get us all in the popcorn mood!)